Wednesday, May 2, 2012

Health update





So, last tuesday I told you guys how I was having abdominal pain. They did an ultra sound to find out if it was gallstones or not, because that is where the pain was located.


The Good News? I have no signs of gallstones what-so-ever!! Which also means no worrying about if I would have to get my gallbladder removed!

The Bad News? I'm still having pain. The radiologist did say that he seems to have found some kidney stones, which is a whole different issue. I went back to the doctor today and he seems to think I have an ulcer...

On the plus side, according to my doctor, an ulcer is fairly easy to take care of and get rid of. They prescribed me some antacids and if it is an ulcer, this should cure it.

If not, I'm afraid I will have to have an endoscopy done :(.  For anyone unfamiliar with what that means, they will have to stick a camera down my throat so they can get a view of my stomach and see what is going on. But, the chances of that are unlikely so I need not worry. Especially because if it is an ulcer, worry is what has gotten me into this whole mess in the first place.


So what does this all mean to me?

I need to stop stressing out. I'm very happy that I have started seeing a counselor for my anxiety. The doctor said that anxiety can definitely cause ulcers so the two absolutely go hand in hand. I'm sad that it has gotten this far. I wish I could just snap my fingers and have my old self back, but I'm getting there. Alex and myself have both seen very big change in my confidence level ever since I began my first session.

The biggest lesson that I have learned is that I need to stop blaming myself. For everything. Which I didn't even realize I was doing, so much so that it is hard for me to know how to change. This is what I have done my whole life. When something goes wrong in one relationship or another, I feel like I should have done something differently to fix it. If I had acted differently I could have changed the outcome.

But life isn't like that. The only thing that I can take responsibility for are my own actions. I can't blame myself for other peoples actions. Just like I can't blame them for mine.

I've also had some toxic relationships in my lifetime. Ones where I blamed myself, and they blamed me also.

But I can't live like that anymore. For one, because it is giving me ulcers!! And two, because those aren't the kind of people I want to have in my life.

I have to stand up for myself, and for who I am.

I've always been afraid that if I said things like, "If they aren't going to pursue a relationship with me, then I am not going to pursue a relationship with them," that would make me selfish. But I'm learning that it isn't always selfish. Sometimes we just have to realize when we are being treated unfairly, or when our friends are abandoning us to say enough is enough. Maybe they actually aren't good friends {which are the exact words my counselor used}.

When the going gets tough, a good friend will be there by your side, or at the very least, they wont abandon you.

I do have some great friends. I'm excited to begin to build those relationships, and step back from the toxic ones.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to stop by!