Friday, December 14, 2012

My grinchy ways



I'm really not one to carry on traditions simply for traditions sake. Call me a grinch, but I just like to be different sometimes. If you tell me to do something, chances are I wont want to do it simply because I want to make my own choices. All you have to say to turn me off to an idea is, "But you have to, it won't be [fill in the blank] with out one."


For example:
Christmas trees.
Alex and I were not all about the Christmas tree tradition. We just didn't see the point in doing all that work just to have a tree in the house for a month and then have to throw it out. "But you have to have a Christmas tree! It won't be Christmas without a tree!!
And thus, our non-tree home idea was born. 
But if you follow me on instagram, you know that this year I was out the the weekend after Thanksgiving getting my tree. Just like all the other die hard Christmas people. And from my pictures you know that there is nothing I have loved more than my tree these last few weeks.
It turns out there are just some traditions that I have come to fall in love with all on my own.
Like Christmas trees.
Last year, I caved and decided to test out getting a tree, and that was all the convincing I needed. There is nothing like having your very own tree. To cut down, to make room for, and to decorate.
In love I fell with that one little tree, and I will get a tree from here on out.

And now I'm caving on my no Christmas card plans...
As much as I feel like they might be pointless, I love getting all those cards in the mail. I love being able to display them. To see that our friends and family love us and want to shower us with some of those kind words.
Yeah, maybe they aren't personal. Maybe they don't have hand written messages (all the time). Maybe the same card gets sent to everyone. But dang it, I love them. And who on earth has the time and energy to write messages to everyone they know? Because I sure don't.

Thus my Grinchy ways are dying, one by one.
And this year I actually wanted to send out Christmas cards of my own. Yep, for the first time.
Unfortunately, with our nearly non-existent Christmas budget, I'm still trying to figure out if we even have the money for that this year.
To friends and family, if you don't get a card in the mail, take this as a card from us this year!
Hopefully next year we can send cards to everyone!

How do you feel about traditions?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to stop by!