Tuesday, March 20, 2012

This is me, a big fat nerd

I've been working on editing my about me section lately. After some thought I decided I wanted to make it an actual post because, let's face it, not everyone reads that section. I wanted to take some time to do a proper introduction, especially because I've got some brand new followers out there.
(To the newbies, Welcome! I'm so flattered that people are actually reading my babble!)

First of all... I am a complete nerd. I am not even going to try to pretend it isn't true.


I pretty much had no (or a very limited supply of) friends when I was younger.
Not looking for pity, just being real. I was so so not the popular girl in school.
But I didn't really mind too much, because the friends I did have were real. (Ok... Honestly I may have minded at the time, but looking back I am beyond thankful that I was friends with the nerdier crowd. Friends, don't be offended, you know it is true.)
We weren't obsessed with how big our boobs were (highly important issues as a tween),
or how "fat" each other were.
We didn't care about boys....

Ok... Mom, Dad...
We totally cared about boys.
I know you want to believe that I was "Little Miss Innocent", I do play the part well :],
but I guess I can only speak for myself when I say that, I liked pretty much every boy that said "hi" to me.
(Trust me I totally know you guys never fell for the "innocent" act, but just keep letting me believe I had you fooled, at least until I have kids of my own.)


Anyways, back on topic...
I'm a nerd.


The day my husband and I started dating was during an all day Star Wars marathon he hosted with some of his friends... Pretty sure it doesn't get much nerdier than that.
And he constantly tells me that that is how he knew I was a "keeper".
Because he didn't think he would ever have a chance to be with anyone as nerdy as me.
How sweet right?
??


My 21st birthday. 10 months prior to our first real date. Look at the love in our eyes.

This picture is purely for the sake of letting you know that he doesn't look like that 18 year old in the picture above anymore. Looks change a lot in 4 years huh?

I love my husband. Marriage is the best gift I have ever been given.
It amazes me each day when he wakes up next to me and I see the look of utter adoration in his eyes.
For me.

Me? Really?
And he sees the way I look in the morning, and the way I don't clean when I should, and the way I get grumpy when I haven't eaten.
And he still loves me.
The day we got engaged.
Our marriage is far from perfect and I am more than open to share that.
We argue. (Gasp!)
But after everything else, we love each other the way I have never experienced love before.

Ok, more on our gushy love story another time.
(BTW, Does anyone who knows me outside of the blogosphere have pictures of us during the pre-dating stage, particularly a certain party where we got a certain set of bears?... Kind of a necessity for any future love story posts.)


I'm obsessed with my cats.
Mostly only one of them (I know I'm a terrible cat mom).
I'm not even slightly joking when I tell you that 
.every. single. day.
I tell my husband how cute our cats are.


This is Bret. He is the cutest, sweetest, most loving and cuddly cat I have ever met.
How could I not love a little face like this??
This is Jemaine...
He is a little more on the eccentric side. He likes to eat and drink with his paws.
We put his bowl at the table just to see if he would try to eat like a person...
He did.
BTW, I'm not sure if any of you have heard of Flight of the Conchords, but if you have... Yes, they were the inspiration for our cat names.


Flight of the Conchords is amazing. They are an actual musical duo, but they also had a show called "Flight of the Conchords" (Go figure?)
This is one of their amazing songs (purely for comedic purposes).



Also... Random fact, I can't live without my cardigans.
I wear a sweater every day. Sweat shirts are just too bulky. Sweaters are amazing.
No joke.



Anyways, I started this blog a couple of years ago because I love to write. Love to write.
I used to write song lyrics and poems. Most of them were really depressing, due in part to happy poems sounding super cheesy. (I've tried, it's hard.) Some people think blogging is weird, or it is a form of seeking attention, or a way to be fake. Personally, I just like it. I like to share my thoughts and feelings and opinions, on just about everything.

Not everyone will like to read my blog, and that is perfectly fine. I'm not doing this for attention, or even to try to change the world. I'm doing it for me.
Because I like it.
Because I'm inspired by others who also share their hearts.
Because I love being a part of a community that encourages, inspires, motivates, and calls higher those around them.
I would be ecstatic if my blog in any way did any of those things for any person. Even if it was only one person. I know what it is to feel sorrow, shame, and hopelessness.  My only goal is really just to let people know that, despite how they may feel, they truly are not alone. Including me.
I'm not alone, and slowly but surely I am realizing that more and more.



My blog name was originally "Life: The Pursuit of Something more than Ordinary". I changed it because, for one it was a really long name. And two, because I wanted something different.
Although that is still my goal in life, to live a life that is more than just mundane and boring, I also felt like it didn't properly convey what I wanted this blog to be for me. This place here is a space for me to relax. A place for me to find me.
 I wanted to portray a setting that is calm and relaxing and inviting. For me, the picture that comes to mind is me, curled up on the couch with a blanket in a beautiful cottage style home on a farm.
A glass of red wine in hand and a good book on my lap.
Somehow that just speaks to me. And that is what I wanted. I wanted that warm cozy feeling when I curl up on the couch with my lap top and lay all my feelings, hopes, dreams, and frustrations out on the table. I wanted to be able to feel the weight lifted off my shoulders usually felt only after a few hours of letting go.






No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to stop by!